Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Back at work and loving it!

As previously mentioned in my blogs last week, I had surgery. Nothing major. A bunion removed off of my left foot. No big deal. The doctor just broke my big toe, inserted a screw between two bones, and sawed and shaved my bone on the outside of my foot. OMGsh!!!!!!!!!!!!! The pain and recovery has been worse than I expected. I was a great patient last week. I stayed off my feet, kept my surgery foot on ice and elevated, and took my medication on time. I was well taken care of. Friends brought meals daily, my mother and mother in law stayed over and took care of me, my husband and kids have worked overtime to serve me since I couldn't do much for myself, and one of my friends (bless Denise's heart) even bathed me. Yes, you know you are bad off when you allow yourself to be stark naked---20 pounds overweight and winter white, with a shower cap on---allowing a friend...even if she is one of your best friends, to help you take a shower. I had to keep my hurt foot dry and out of the shower, I was afraid I'd fall. And she just kept laughing at me. (I think it was the shower cap that caused the laughter....I hope it wasn't my fat beeeehind!)


1. Here I am ready to go. Only I can't walk down the steps. I'll just scoot on me bum!






Well, needless to say, I was going stir crazy. Finally, Monday morning, I decided it was time to go back to work. I work at the front desk for Proverbs 31 Ministries. If you walked in the front door of our office, mine would be the first face you would see. If you call the office, usually my voice is the first voice you hear.
I could drive to work okay because it's not my driving foot that is healing. Walking gracefully is different story! As I pulled up to the office, I called ahead and asked for some help getting in. Teri and LeAnn met me at my car (Teri stepped on my foot as she gave me a hug---ouch), carried in my stuff, and




2. laughed at the way I scooted up the steps backwards on my backside.







3.See the smiling faces I get to be with every day? This is Barb and Holly.



4. Wendy and I sit, chat, and get caught up on everything that's been going on since I've been gone. Lovely position I'm in...but my foot's up!









5. Look at the beautiful view from my desk: Wendy, LeAnn, Samantha, Barb, and Teri.




6. Look at the not so beautiful view from my desk. My foot and my computer.







7. Sweet Teri and Samantha (taking the picture) help me get back to my car. The cooler is not holding beer silly...it's holding ice which was pumped to my foot to keep it cool and icy during the day.


It's so great to be back. I missed it. I've been back 3 days now. I was on my feet probably too much today. I'm on the couch now with my foot up and I feel like my foot is ripping open. But I'm not complaining. I'm thankful.


Thankful for my family. Thankful for my friends. Thankful for my surgeon. Thankful for my job and the incredible staff I work with. Thankful for my health. And thankful for all my bloggy friends who have been praying for me and checking up on me.


Much Love,

Melissa

***I'm going to begin posting again on "I am Beautiful" tomorrow. I just couldn't keep up with both. I need some beautiful encouragement...I've been feeling so frumpy lately!




3 comments:

Charlene Kidd said...

I appreciate your concern about not talking much to me. I was focused on returning the books. I knew you were busy. I always worry that I am a distraction when I stop by. So I try to get in and out!! You are so not frumpy!! I can totally relate. I feel that way today. Allan left at 3:30 this morning for the airport and will be gone until next Tuesday. I need to excercise, but my motivation is out of town!!!
Blessings,
Charlene

Jodie Wolfe said...

Welcome back Melissa! :) So glad you are feeling better and back to work again. I will continue to pray as you heal.
Blessings,
"Pearls"

Kelley said...

Melissa,
AHHH! I need your help! I finally made the decision to attend the She Speaks conference but now all the rooms are booked. I really don't want to stay in another hotel and I am having trouble getting a room directly. Any suggestions? I have gone from fear of coming to fear of not being able to come! HELP!!!

Thanks for all of your encouragement, I just hope it isn't too late!

Kelley