Wednesday, January 30, 2008

God's Voice

Just today, I added a new link to the side of my blog. Maybe you've noticed it. It's called "Got Jesus?" As I was typing the description under the title, I went deep into thought (not something I do very often!). I typed, "Knowing God's peace, perspective, and purpose begins with a personal relationship with Jesus Christ." That's true. I know it for a fact. There is no peace without Jesus. And with my perspective, which is often skewed, I often get a false message because my perspective can be wrong (oh my gosh, did I just say that...I hope my children aren't reading this!). I've also learned over the years that God's purpose for me is much higher than my own. God is able to do far more through me than I could ever ever do. Yet, I still try to do so much on my own. That includes listening to the wrong voice.

Last weekend at the Southbrook Women's Retreat I read an excerpt from the book Becoming A Woman Who Listens to God by Sharon Jaynes. Here it is:

My voice says quit.
God's voice says be committed. Matthew 5:37

My voice calls for instant gratification.
God's voice says to exercise self-control. Galatians 5:23

My voice says look out for myself because no one else will.
God's voice says love others more than myself and think of their interests above my own. Philippians 2:3-4

My voice says get even.
God's voice says forgive. Matthew 18:21

My voice says get my own way.
God's voice says be a peacemaker. Romans 12:18

My voice says glorify me.
God's voice says glorify Jesus Christ. John 17:5

My voice calls for pride.
God's voice calls for humility. Philippians 2:3

My voice says look good on the outside and no one will notice the ugliness on the inside.
God's voice says be pure on the inside and the outside won't even matter. Proverbs 31:30

My friends, do you know the only way to tell the difference between your voice and God's? It's by developing a personal, ongoing, and intimate relationship with Jesus Christ and knowing the TRUTH of His Word. And it really is simple.

If you don't know Jesus, click the "Got Jesus" link on the side. And if you do but you're struggling with hearing God's voice, create some quiet time and just look up a few of the verses listed above. God's voice is the only one that matters. He loves you so much and would love to spend some time with you now.

Have a wonderful day!
Love,


Melissa

No comments: