Friday, September 11, 2009

A girl works works works, then...

gets the flu too.

Yep, after a week of taking care of my family, I too fell prey to the swine. (Just to clarify, only one of the kids was officially diagnosed with the H1N1 virus...the doctor said there was no need to test. Just same symptoms.) This week our family has also encountered a UTI (I can't tell you who has that bc they say "it's embarrassing Mom!" , major asthma flair up requiring extra breathing treatments, and many a cough, earache, high fever, and sore throat.

Early this afternoon I proclaimed, "It's cold in here isn't it?" And I heard, "I'm not cold" "Me either"
To which I thought, "Oh no."

And I was right. The reason I was cold was because I had a fever. The sickness that I had worked so hard to make everyone else feel better about had finally found it's way to me. And I'm ok with that.

If you read yesterday's post, then you know that I was able to find Treasure in the Illness (es) of my family. Now it's time for me to find the treasure in my own.

Could it be I need to slow down?
Could it be I need to be able to empathize with those who are sick?
Could it be that I wasn't supposed to go away for a girl's weekend with my Bible Study group but stay home with my family?

Who knows? (Well, God does.) But whatever the reason, I trust that there is a reason for it. I'm just thankful that I was the last to get it and not the first. I was given the gift of caring for my family without having to worry about me. Now they are in the healing stage and I can just crash.

This has been a hard week for many reasons. I am a little down about my Mom. (I may comment on this at another time or I may not.) I am faced with new challenges in my speaking and writing. My family has needed me beyond the usual. I've missed work all week and I need the hours. But let me tell you the blessings....

I trust God to take care of Mom. That's hard for me, but I have to do it. In speaking and writing, or another way of putting it...my calling in ministry....I am being challenged to step it up. That's all I'll say about that. I struggle on some days to feel worthy of the calling and I rise to the occasion on some days knowing I am capable because of the Lord. But only because of Him. My kids have needed me so much this week. Seeing my strong boys so weak has taken me aback. I cherish the fact that they need me, but I hurt seeing them feel so bad. And my office work. I miss my friends at the office. I miss my work at the office. I need the hours. But home has called. And I'm called here before anywhere else.

So this girl has worked worked worked. And I was to be rewarded this weekend. My Bible study group is taking an annual girl's weekend trip to the lake. I've been looking forward to this all week. Yesterday I made the call to stay home. I knew my family needed me. Little did I know that I'd be the one who was sick! Mary Beth, Julie, LaGena, Amy, and Michelle...girls have a blast! I wish I was there with you! Play, laugh, relax, and enjoy the gift of each other. I'll catch up with you next Friday at Bible Study. I was so looking forward to this weekend with you. I hope and pray you all are having a great time together. But selfishly I hope not too much fun!

Thankfully it is the weekend. I got to watch my favorite show tonight (Monk). And tomorrow there is college football. If I have to be sick and stuck at home, then at least it's football season. The Gators play at 12 and the Gamecocks play at 6:30. :) And the Panthers play Sunday. :)

No matter what, I am reminded of what the Lord says. Reminded by a friend, 1 Peter 5:6-11. And girlfriend who sent that to me, I am holding that closer than you know.

Hangin in there,

Melissa

4 comments:

Sharon Sloan said...

Oh praying you all are 100% soon! :)

Love, hugs and prayers,
Sharon

Anonymous said...

AMEN! I needed that scripture this morning too. I think I will print it out and put it in my purse so I can read it through out the day.

Joyful said...

Continuing in prayer for you. May the Lord bring an unexpected blessing your way today.

Know you are loved,
Joy

Amy L Brooke said...

Hope you are feeling better!