Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Rice and Beans Night

Oh, yea. It's that time of the month again. No, not that time of the month, but time to write letters to our sponsored Comassion child, Maria.

This monthly ritual has turned into quite an ordeal. In a good way though. It involves serving, eating, sacrificing, friendship, family, love, and prayer.

It was our turn to host R and B Night. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, I'll explain.
My family sponsors a child through Compassion International. Her name is Maria and I've written about her before. I met her last year and she is just a precious sweet child. She is beautiful. Donna and Sydney also sponsor a child through Compassion. Her name is Nataly. Both of these girls live in Ecuador. Each month we get together to celebrate these precious children.
Our meal is rice and beans. The truth is, Maria and Nataly's families quite possibly can't even afford rice and beans. They are very poor. We eat rice and beans. Some of us like it and some of us don't. If anyone elects not to eat the rice and beans, they get nothing. Their hunger reminds them of the hunger that is felt by those less fortunate.
We write letters to our girls. We draw pictures. Make crafts. Send family photos. Since my family is so big, we attach a picture of the person who is writing the letter. Maria gets 6 letters from us. Donna and Sydney do the same. We serve together. We sacrifice our time, money, and tastebuds (I hesistate to even call it a sacrifice), we pray for our girls and their families. And we enjoy each other as we do it. Take a look:

Here are Sydney, Hayley Grace, and Dylan at the table working on their Christmas trees for Maria and Nataly.



Quite the workers. Our kitchen table was transformed to a writing and crafts table.



Hayley Grace...this is the picture we attached to her letter.



Dylan ... this is the picture we attached to his letter.






Blake and Princess ... this is the picture we attached to Blake's letter. Princess did not write a letter.




Pictured here are the Christmas tree that Hayley Grace and Dylan made, the picture/poster Blake made, and the letter Blake wrote.




Here are my letter, Hayley Grace's letter, and Dylan's letter.




"Ha! Caught you! You really do like rice and beans!" This is after the night was supposedly over. Sydney and Hayley Grace wolfing down the r and b when they thought no one was looking!


What fun! And what a good feeling it is to know that we are making a difference in the life of a child!

Blessings to all,

Melissa


If you are interested in sponsoring a child through Compassion, click the link to the left.




3 comments:

Joyful said...

What a great idea! It looks like everyone is having such a fun time. Serving and ministry and reaching out to others IS fun!!! Especially when done with such a loving, kind, willing, self-sacrificing spirit.

I pray today that Maria and Nataly will know how much they are loved.

Blessings,
Joy

zachyounkin said...

Great idea!!

Would you mind adding a link to Compassion on your blog?

If you have any questions, let me know!

Ben & Bobbi said...

Melissa - I love the Proverbs 31 devotions and enjoy your blog so much. I have added it to my list on my blog to check back a little more often. You seem so sweet and full of God's joy! Anyway I thought this was a really good idea what you do with your family to get involved in the Compassion ministry. We don't have any kids but I think it may be something fun for my husband and I to do together...I think I'll talk to him about it tonight. Thanks for being an encouragement!