Monday, September 8, 2008

Blast From the Past


I apologize for the blurriness in this photo, but this is an old picture. It is me (on the left) and my wonderful and sweet and loyal friend Donna (on the right). I just had to post it!
This picture was taken in 1984. We were so young. Just look! And as for the Santa in the middle, that's Thomas. I haven't talked to him in over 20 years. Wonder what Santa is up to?
As for the elf, that's Donna. I've mentioned her here before. She was the Homecoming Queen of East Mecklenburg High School that year. I wasn't even on court. Oh well. But I was a Lettergirl. That would be the school dance team, kind of. We wore letters that spelled out our high school name and danced at football and basketball games. However, we ran out of letters, so I had the mascot on my uniform. See the eagle?
Donna's daughter Sydney, and my daughter, Hayley Grace, are good friends. They play together and they also serve together. Their friendship is so sweet. And I can honestly say that Donna is a friend that loves me NMW. No Matter What. I met her on the bus in the 5th grade. We were in the same 6th grade class. We went to elementary, jr. high, high school, and college together. She was in my wedding. Then we lost touch a for a while. But we've reconnected and ... well .. look out! We are double trouble! And so are our daughters.
Just tonight, Donna and Sydney were at our house for "Rice and Beans" night. I'll post pictures from that later.
Wow, I look at the picture above and it brings back so many great memories. High School seems like just yesterday. I can smell the school. Hear the bell, the teachers, the football game atmosphere. I can remember certain things as if they just happened. Yet, here I am. 41 years old. Married almost 19 years. (more years than I was old in this photo!!!!) 4 kids. Working full time. My oldest child has his learner's permit. My youngest, Hayley Grace, is boy crazy! (for the Jonas Brothers) But I'm thankful that one thing that remains from this picture is my friendship with Donna. :) In fact it's stronger now than it was then.
A blast from the past. A blast indeed.
Love,
Melissa

4 comments:

Joyful said...

So cute Melissa! I'm thankful God gives us memories. I love how certain scents, objects, places can flood our minds with cherished thoughts of others. So glad you have this wonderful friendship.

I'm actually going to be with a friend of mine today who I've known for 41 years!!!! We met in Kindergarten and we have never lost touch.

Have a great day,
Hugs,
Joy

Anonymous said...

HI Melissa - you are so cute - and i'm serious, you have hardly changed, except the brown haird:) which I like! but you look great as a blonde too.

just wanted to say i love you and think you're awesome! your she speaks roomie, melanie

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

You look exactly the same now as you did in that picture! Except for the hair color! No kidding! You have not changed at all.

Marilyn

Unknown said...

Cute pic! And I share your pain with the JOnas brothers. My girls are all gaga over them too.