Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Bringing Vacation Home

My family recently returned from a week of vacation. We stayed in a house on the beach in the Ocean Drive area of North Myrtle Beach, SC. It was probably one of the best vacations we've had. No drama. No conflicts. Lots of relaxing. Lots of activity. I read an entire novel (first one in 15 years!). Spent amazing quality time with my husband. Enjoyed my children playing and laughing a lot. Blessed by time and great conversations with my husband's family: parents, grandmothers, brother and sister in law. Ate some yummy food (probably too much). Tied my husband in putt putt, Ha! And my favorite thing...swinging on the back porch overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Oh how I love the smell of the sea and the sound of the waves.

As we drove home, Jeff and I discussed how we hoped to stay calm, relaxed, and happy once returning home. "Bring our vacation home", Hayley Grace said joyfully. "Okay, we will!" Her dad said. And so, that has been our goal. Even though real life is happening and we have returned to phone calls, emails, grocery shopping, daytime jobs, laundry, schedules, conflicts, deadlines, family and household duties, no ocean waves, and no time to read a novel...we are trying to keep our vacation attitudes. You know the "No problem Mon" attitude. Letting go of the stress and rush and hanging on to the smiles and taking time to enjoy the moment.

Truly, it's just so easy to get caught up and held captive to the hustle and bustle and cruelty that this world brings. I know that each day can't be a vacation, but I like Hayley Grace's suggestion to bring vacation home with us. And so, as a family, we are aiming to do just that. There is a time to work, email, clean, deal with problems, etc. There is also a time to enjoy life. Capture the moment with family and friends. Sit in the back yard and enjoy the life given to us here.

And with that, I must go. Our family is watching a movie together tonight. "Ratatouille" begins in 5 minutes.

Blessings,

Melissa

3 comments:

Amy Carroll said...

I love your idea of bringing your vacation home. Instead of looking forward to time at the beach in two weeks, does that mean I can start today? Yeah!

I was talking to Barry about you just this evening in Rudino's (see I've already started vacation by never cooking!) You inspire me with your transparency and your happily ever after. Love you, friend!

Amy

Joyful said...

Hayley Grace is a very wise little girl! I love this idea of "bringing vacation home". Think next time we head up North I'll bring home a rock from the beach as a memory stone and visual to keep this thought in my mind. Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday. Ours was more of a challenge, but it was a change :o)

Hope you enjoyed your movie. We've seen it....makes me wonder what really goes on in the MBC Kitchen up North!

Aunty Em's said...

Your story sounds like my story. How wonderful and encouraging to see how God turns our pain into His beauty. Thanks for your transparency and honesty, and being in the right place at the right time - at least for me!