Monday, July 20, 2009

Freedom

Galatians 5:1- It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

Free- Yes, Christ has set us free. He did this by His own death. It was the toughest and most painful of sacrifices, yet He considered us worth it. And he did it, so that we would experience freedom. The opposite of freedom is captivity or bondage. If we feel held against our will, then we are not experiencing the freedom that Christ intended.

This was me for many years. I've been captive to people, relationships, feelings, food, exercise, perfection, lonliness, positions/roles, and my own thoughts. It has taken (and still takes) a constant effort and reminder to myself that I am no longer a slave to such things. Jesus is my Master and I am free. Not guilty. Not condemned. Not needing anything or anyone else to complete me.

Often people fight for freedom. We don't have to. The battle was won for us. Christ did it all.

Stand firm- This tells me that Paul, who wrote this verse, is saying that we can't just relax. We have to stand firm. Stand firm...on solid ground, not waivering, holding on tight so we won't easily be blown over or down. Standing firm takes effort and it means we must take a stand and stick with it. Make a decision and never look back.

Again- The fact that Paul says, "Do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery" tells me that we will be burdened (or attempted to be burdened) again by the same things. The same strongholds that Satan had over us are going to be the same ones he uses again and again to get to us. That's why we were just told to stand firm!

I hope you are encouraged by this verse. I've decided to go back through "Breaking Free" by Beth Moore again and use it in my quiet time for the rest of the summer. This verse was in the introduction and I have used it all day long in making decisions and reminding myself of my amazing freedom in Christ! I take it for granted too much. I turn to other means for comfort too much. This is not right. It makes me a slave to whatever I turn to. I don't want any part of that.

It is for freedom that I am free in Christ. I will stand firm then, and I won't let myself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery!

Christ gave up everything for me and you. Let's stand firm and make Him glad He did!

Sweet Love in Christ,

Melissa

5 comments:

Joyful said...

Excellent Melissa!!!! I love that verse in Galatians 5:1. I fear too often my life is lived in such a way that it nullifies the work already accomplished on the cross. Christ HAS set me free...so why do I so often live hostage to feelings, circumstances etc...?

Needing to embrace and live in the freedom that is already mine,
Joy

Lynn Cowell said...

Melissa,
Sometimes we forget the freedom He offers us. Instead we choose the anger, the chocolate...whatever seems to bring release. Lord, help me to choose Your Freedom.
Miss you guys!
Lynn

Alexis said...

Melissa,
Thank you for this encouraging post! The topic of freedom has been circling around in my mind over and over again, and over and over He keeps bringing me back to that verse. STAND FIRM. In the moments of temptation, I have to remember to stand firm for God or else I will fall for the enemy's schemes.

Your words made an impact today. :)

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

It's been awhile since I have gone through Breaking Free...such a wonderful reminder.

Looking forward to meeting you next week.

Sarah said...

Standing with you dear one! And blessed to have found your blog. Thanks for splashing me today in His word.

Hugs from Costa Rica,
Sarah Dawn