Friday, March 7, 2008

Footloose and Fancy Free...

I am adding to this post. The original text I wrote yesterday. I'm updating today (March 8). Yesterday the doctor told me that I could now put full weight on the foot that had surgery. Not a good idea. The pain kept me up last night. At one point I woke up in tears. I had to take the strong pain meds for the first time since I originally had the surgery. I didn't sleep at all. I'm so tired. Jeff is awesome. Last night when I kept waking up in pain, he never complained for being woken up, he just opened his arms and let me fall in them. So "Footloose and Fancy Free"? Maybe not quite yet.

Well, almost. I went to the doctor today. Finally it was time to remove the original big fat bandage off of my left foot. It's the same bandage the doctor put on my foot almost 3 weeks ago after my bunionectomy. Talk about some stinky toe-jam!!!! Whew, girls you just don't know. It was not pretty. If I had remembered to take my camera, I would've taken a picture of it to show you. Since I really didn't think I should bring it home with me, you'll just have to take my word for it. Between my pinky toe and the next one...ewwww!

I was so taken with the toe jam, I almost didn't notice the 2 inches of stitches on the inside of my foot. The doctor, who by the way could not have been more than 29 years old (anyone remember Doogy Houser?), took the stitches out ... also gross. That totally gave me the heeby jeebies. I could feel the thread sliding between my skin. I started praying because I thought for sure I would throw up. But Doogy, I mean Dr. Pappas, was very sweet. He had a wonderful bedside manner. "Mrs. Taylor? You okay? Take a deep breath. It's okay. Almost done. There, all done maam." (Thank you Doogy, now run along and play.) Seriously, he was great. And I'm thankful to have my stitches out. I can now put weight on my foot. I'm still in a boot and I still have pain, but it's all bearable and getting better daily. He re-bandaged my foot. This time it's not so thick. Hayley Grace can't call me "Mrs. Fat Foot" anymore:)

See, here is what my foot looks like now.
(look closely and you can see my stuck
together toes...usually I charge admission
to view this!)








I can even wear a sock over it!









Can you tell which is the surgical boot and which is the shoe?
Almost identical huh? Fashion Genious!




And look at my sweet doggie (not Doogy, her name is Princess).
She's beside me on the couch right now so I thought I'd photograph her. Isn't she photogenic? (she's so sleepy eyed in this picture!)





I received a few comments and emails from a few people who have bunions and are considering surgery. Some say I've talked them out of it. I say, go for it. We'll be in cute shoes by summertime! Yes it's been a big deal. Even painful. But it will be worth it when I'm in my flops and there's no big bump sticking out and my foot isn't in pain by 3 pm everyday.

Thank you for the many well wishes, cards, and even a gift or two. I've been encouraged by words from people I've never even met before. That is so cool to me! And I've been taken care of by people I do know. That's cool too.

Have a great weekend y'all. Kick back and relax. That's what I'm going to do!

God Bless You,

Melissa



***I'm giving away a book, I'm Beautiful, Why Can't I See It? by Kimberly Davidson. Visit www.BeautifulP31.blogspot.com for details.

4 comments:

Joyful said...

So glad all is healing well with your foot. You're too funny!!! I smiled my way all through this post. Kind of glad you DIDN'T have your camera at the Dr's - who knows WHAT we'd be viewing!

Your dog "Princess" - adorable.
Your foot healing - wonderful.
Your sweet words and friendship - priceless.

Praying for your continued recovery.
Love & prayers,
Joy

Joyful said...

Ah Melissa, just read your update. Feeling so bad for you. I will be praying for you today. May the Lord bring you relief from the pain and may He give you rest.

1 Peter 5:10
"And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast."

Love & hugs,
Joy

Jodie Wolfe said...

Hi Melissa!
Still praying for you. We are in the Orlando area now. I'll be in contact hopefully later this week.

Rachel Olsen said...

Pain or no pain, footbound or fancy free - you're blutiful to me!

I made a rhyme just for you. :) I even spelled it right, according to Hayley Grace.

Feel better soon!
Hugs ~ Rachel